Hi guys! I hope everyone reading this is having a productive and happy Wednesday. I actually woke up with 7 coworkers today and headed to Rumble in NoHo on the 6 train at 6:15am for a 7:00am kickboxing class. I’ve never done an instructed class in the morning before work, but it really kickstarted (lol punny) my day. Typically I head to the gym solo in the morning, but this was a good switch up. I’m definitely going to have to work it into my weekly routine.
Since I burned 660 calories before 8:00am, I’m a little hungrier than I usually am mid-afternoon. I ate lunch– grilled chicken, coconut rice, and veggies around 12:15pm, but shortly after I started craving something sweet! Luckily, I packed a healthy snack:
Last night when I got home from work, I pulled the squash out of my fridge that I had delivered from Misfits last week. I grabbed a cutting board, my orange knife, and a pyrex glass dish and got to work.
This snack took me 60 seconds to prepare. That’s amazing!
All you have to do is follow these 6 simple steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Lay the butternut squash on a cutting board and cut it “hot dog bun” style
- Carve out the seeds and chuck them in the trash
- Place the squash into the dish face down
- Add about a cup of water to the dish so its surrounding the squash
- Put that bad boy in the oven for 60 minutes – 1.5 hours depending on the size
Now it’s a waiting game & you can go watch the new season of Queer Eye or Married at First Sight.
Once the timer goes off, go check to see if your squash is soft to the touch on the inside. It should be super easy to take off the skin with a fork. If you don’t want to do that, just scoop out the inside with a spoon and vwala, you’re ready to eat.
I added a couple pinches of salt and pepper to mine alone with some butter and it tastes like gold.
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash: 16 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, & 49 calories.
- Note- This is chalked full of complex carbs (aka the good carbs)
- This is a low-carb snack packed full of:
- Fiber — Helps to absorb sugars more slowly, this is a very good thing!
- Vitamin A — great for hair and skin
- Vitamin C
- Potassium — positive effect on your blood pressure
- Carb info – Butternut Squash
- Vitamin C benefits